To positively impact the growth and well being of children in the communities in which we work by supporting organizations focused on assisting in their education and personal development.
Losing someone close to us is hard even as an adult. Now imagine going through it as a child; not totally understanding what exactly happened or why Uncle Joe will not be at Christmas next year. Your emotions are running high and you’re not sure how to decipher them.
KARA Grief Counseling works to compassionately support children, teens, families and adults through their journey of grief so they can move towards renewed hope and meaning in their lives. The organization provides support through group counseling, education, caregiver support, community outreach, Camp Erin and much more.
Our donation will go towards supporting Camp Erin, a 2 day summer grief camp for children and teens ages 6-17 who have experienced death of a family member or friend. Kids get to enjoy traditional camp activities combined with grief education and emotional support, facilitated by grief professionals and trained volunteers. Check out some of the great experiences kids have had at this extraordinary camp that’s making a difference in their lives.
Click here to play video
In our last round of grants, the Intero Gilroy office presented $5,000 to Animal Assisted Happiness, an organization that works to enrich the lives of children experiencing health and/or family challenges. They do this by providing an opportunity to experience happiness and smiles through animal interaction. The simple motion of petting a goat or holding a baby chick can bring joy to a child and allow them a chance to forget about the challenges they may face every day, in the end, making them a stronger, more confident individual. See the effect these animals have on the kids they meet in the below video
The line up for Friday’s big event have been announced!
See the list below and don’t miss out on all the fun.
Granting $130,000 in 2014 so far, with more on the way.
On May 15th, the Intero Foundation issued their second round of grants of the year directed towards the California communities of Los Altos, San Carlos, and San Mateo area. In 2002, the leaders of Intero Real Estate Services, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate and wholly owned subsidiary of HomeServices of America, Inc., founded the Intero Foundation to be a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting children in the communities local to where Intero conducts business.
Over a decade later, the Foundation empowers a diversity of organizations that positively impact the education and personal development of children. Through Intero’s agents, employees and fundraising events, the Foundation has generated over $3 million with an endowment of more than $775,000 and given away $130,000 in 2014 so far.
In order to sustain its commitment to giving back to the community, each quarter, the Intero Foundation presents grants to non-profits that have been approved by the Foundation Committee. This second quarter round of grants were brought to the foundation by Intero’s offices located in Los Altos, San Carlos, and San Mateo. A total of $65,000 split amongst the following organizations:
- Achieve Kids – Provides individualized and multi-disciplinary programs that deliver special education, mental health, and family support to children who have complex and often severe developmental, emotional, and behavioral challenges. The Intero Los Altos Office presented $5,000 to support the hands-on training of children in daily living skills such as taking public transportation, ordering meals at a restaurant, and buying groceries.
- Grateful Garment – Reduces any further negative impact on victims of sexual violence and human sex trafficking. The Intero Los Altos Office presented $8,000 for the purchase of clothing, food, and toiletries to minor victims of sexual assault; prevention education and training; and administrative expenses (supplies, storage, telephone, mileage, etc.) within the Santa Clara County.
- KARA Grief Counseling – Provides a safe and caring environment for children, teens, families and adults can come for grief support. The Intero Los Altos Office presented $7,000 to support their summer camp for low-income and at-risk youth, Camp Erin.
- Morgan Autism Center – Provides individualized education for kids and adults with autism. The Intero Los Altos office presented $7,000 for their art and music program as part of the organizations enrichment programs.
- CASA of San Mateo – Ensures all abused and neglected children under the protection of the court in San Mateo County have a consistent and caring adult who speaks on their behalf and helps them reach their full potential. The Intero San Carlos Office presented $7,000 to assist in the training and screening of volunteers.
- Family Connections – Provides early childhood education programs and services to low-income families in a parent-child cooperative style. The Intero San Carlos office presented $5,000 to help fund their Kindergarten Readiness Program.
- Nature Bridge – Educates youth on the subjects of science and the environment at campuses in national parks with the goal of inspiring a personal connection to nature and the responsibility to sustain it. The Intero San Carlos office presented $7,000 for disadvantaged students, grades K-12, in Redwood City and East Palo Alto to learn at Yosemite National Park and be transformed by the experience.
- Friends of the HMB Library – Supports the Half Moon Bay Library through enhancement programs including a summer reading program for children. The Intero San Mateo office presented $7,000 to allow at-risk 2nd and 3rd graders to attend their summer reading program.
- Project Read – Redwood City Friends of Literacy – A volunteer based literacy tutoring and training program for children, adults and families. The Intero San Mateo office presented $5,000 for the Kids In Partnership program which matches academically at-risk teen tutors with struggling elementary school students.
- Vida Verde Nature Education – Provides free overnight environmental learning experiences to low-income, inner-city students. The Intero San Mateo office presented $7,000 so a class of 4th graders from Bayshore Elementry School in Daly City can have the opportunity to go on a trip to Vida Verde.
The Intero Foundation is always seeking to expand the culture of giving. To apply for a grant for your non-profit organization, follow the grant application guidelines here.
On Saturday, May 3rd, Intero Saratoga hosted the 4th Annual Hot Wheels for Kids Car Show Benefitting the Intero Foundation. It was another gorgeous Saturday morning in Saratoga, with about 90 awesome classics, customs, muscle cars, hot rods and motorcycles lined up around the parking lot, along with delicious food from The Ultimate BBQ and live music from The Closers, Intero Los Gatos’s own! Dwight Clark joined in the fun again this year, chatting and taking pictures. The lucky winner of Dwight’s autographed football was longtime 49ers fan Karen Ardizzone (and from what we understand, she is still smiling about it). There was even face painting and a jumpy house for all of the younger spectators. Everyone was all smiles.
Trophies went to some of the most outstanding cars of the show:
- First Place Pre-1975: Elaine & Mark Burns with their 1950 Chevy Pick-up
- First Place Post-1975: Boss 302 Laguna Seca Track Car driven by Jon Wyatt
- “South of the Border” Award: 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible owned by Tom Jevens
- Cool Cruiser: 1940 Cadillac LaSalle, aptly named LowSalle, owned by Brian Nieri
- Best Rod: John Kost’s mind-blowingly loud 1963 Ford Falcon Dragster
- People’s Choice: Saratoga Fire District 1923 Model A Fire Engine brought by Susan Long
The coolest part of the whole day…. and the reason we come together every year for this event….was that the Hot Wheels for Kids Car Show raised over $11,000 for children in need right here in the Bay Area. We could not have done it without the support of all of the car owners, sponsors, Intero volunteers and car show enthusiasts from the community!
Click Here to View Photos from Hot Wheels for Kids 2014 ….Enjoy!
Our Intero San Diego office showed their support for the Eastlake Educational Foundation with a generous donation of $500 and by volunteering for the organizations Eastlake Cycle & Run Family Roll n’ Stroll earlier this month. The team also did a raffle for a boy’s bike and a girl’s bike.
The Intero team at the Roll n’ Stroll
Showing off the bikes before they’re raffled off.
Boy’s bike winner
Girl’s bike winner
Choose Intero Foundation for SVGives today.
Donation Stations are available at any Intero Silicon Valley office.
See a map of locations HERE.
The Intero Foundations annual Hot Wheels For Kids is happening this Saturday! Grab the family and head down to Intero Saratoga for a day of cars, music and fun! Find out more at hotwheelsforkidscarshow.com